Books That Everyone Read but You! (Top Ten List)

By , October 3, 2011 12:00 am

Since I hadn’t read the iconic The Giving Tree before my work on September’s literary cupcake, I have thought all week about those books that “got away” when I was a child.  These are the books that I remember sitting on the chalkboard ledge in my elementary school classrooms.  Books that librarians plugged, teachers designed bulletin boards after, and every student read.  Everyone, of course, except for me.  There is no time to conform when you are nose deep in a Miss Marple mystery!

In honor of these memorable stories that I’m reading only now that I’m an adult, I’m dedicating this week to my top ten list of children’s books that everyone loved but me.

Comment by revealing which books “got away” from you, and let me know if I’ve really missed out by not reading the ones on my list!

Top Ten Children’s Books That Everyone Read (Except for Me)

10.  Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

9. Wacky Wednesday (By far the most popular book at my school’s library.  It was always checked out!)

8. Strider

7.  If You Give A Mouse A Cookie

6. Horton Hears a Who

5.  The Very Hungry Caterpillar

4.  Where the Wild Things Are

3.  The Giver

2.   Everything by Shel Silverstein because there are so many that I missed! (Where the Sidewalk Ends, Falling Up, A Light in the Attic, etc.)

1.  All of the classic Judy Blume books like Are You There God? It’s Me, Margret., Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Forever, Superfudge, etc.!

Now it’s time for you to share your books that “got away!”  And let me know if there are any on my list that I really should have read way back when!

8 Responses to “Books That Everyone Read but You! (Top Ten List)”

1. Great post! I haven’t read number 10 yet so will put it on my list. How about Good Night Moon? My kids never liked that one but it’s a classic. I never heard of The Giver? Did that one get away from me??? You have a good list – read every one except 10 and you will love them all!

• MMRule says:

Thanks, Jennifer! I was never much of a fan of Good Night Moon, but I did have a copy when I was young. The Giver is an interesting philosophical novel that many schools in my area assign for students in grade 5 or 6. I heard it is very good but way too thematically complex for such young children.

2. Susie says:

I read a lot as a kid, so it’s hard to remember books I didn’t read (if I didn’t read them, I can’t remember them…you know?). And I have kids now, so I think I filled in all the major gaps. I do remember everyone I knew in HS reading “Forever” which I completely skipped–and it will probably never go on my ‘to-be-read’ list. Although, I guess now that I think of it, I never read “The Wind in the Willows.”

• MMRule says:

I was laughing with my family about my vivid memories of books I never read. Of course I also remember the ones I read :) I plan on filling in the gaps by buying books for my children too. I’m not sure if I’ve read “The Wind in the Willows,” but I know I read “The Owl and the Pussycat!”

3. Okay, I’ve been thinking. I never read Good Night Moon, The Boxcar Children or The Babysitters Club. None of the Wind and the Willows series either. I loved, however, The Paperbag Princess. Ever read that? Meg, As for The Giver. I used to teach that in 8th grade. It’s way to advanced thematically for 5th or 6th grade.

• MMRule says:

I never read the Babysitters’ Club books, but your mention of them reminded me of Sweet Valley High which I also didn’t read. I thought of putting them on my list but thought they were too obscure. Glad to know that they’re not! From what I heard about The Giver, I’d think it would be better read in high school. And I’ve never heard of The Paperbag Princess. I’ll check it out on Amazon!

• Brian says:

You thought Babysitters’ Club and Sweet Valley High were too obscure? The majority of your list meant nothing to me, but I’ve heard of those. What does that say about me, at least memory wise?

• MMRule says:

It sounds like you were busy checking out the girls while pretending to read an upside down book? :)